The first organized Christian effort on Terrace Hill commenced in 1879 in the home of Mrs. Kinney at 37 St. George Street. An afternoon Sunday school was started by deacon Thomas Crawford of First Baptist Church.
The land upon which the church stands was purchased through the efforts and contributions of Mr. T. S. Shenstone.
A building known as the North Star Mission was erected in 1883. Shenstone Memorial Baptist Church (for simplicity known as Shenstone) was organized on Thursday, June 22, 1905 with a charter membership of 52. Shenstone called its first pastor, Rev. W. J. H. Brown, father of the well-known Gordon W. Brown, longtime dean of Central Baptist Seminary.
In 1922, a new church building was erected to accommodate a growing membership of 169. Several of our seniors were present when that cornerstone was laid! Over the years, there have been other notable events. In 1927, Shenstone and a number of other fundamental Baptist Churches were forced, because of their Bible-centered doctrines, to withdraw from the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec. This group of churches formed the "Union of Regular Baptist Churches" which later (1953) amalgamated with the Fellowship of Independent Baptist Churches to form the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches now comprising over 500 churches in Canada.
Scholarly pastor "A.C." Whitcombe became blind in 1941, but the Church stood by him under an able ministry lasting another 30 years. The membership developed a deep sense of "ownership" through those years. Pastor Ron Baxter led the Church into a vigorous bus ministry in the late 1970's. At its peak over 500 youngsters packed this building, as well as Graham Bell School across the street.
Between 1985 and 1989, Pastor Steve Little led Shenstone to accomplish its latest building program, including our new auditorium and offices, and a totally renovated old building. We praise the Lord that because of the generosity and commitment of our people, a project of nearly $500,000 is now debt free. During this time, 14 Pastors have given spiritual guidance. Under the leadership of these men, Shenstone has become a lighthouse of Biblical truth and an expression of God's love and sacrifice for lost humanity.
1905-1907 Rev. W.J.H. Brown
1908-1909 Rev. W. A. Johnson
1910-1911 Rev. G. A. Lowes
1912-1917 Rev. James Chapman
1918-1919 Rev. J. H. Slimon
1919-1923 Rev. N. R. McLeod
1924-1926 Rev. A. G. Jones
1927-1932 Rev. F. A. McNulty
1933-1935 Rev. W. W. Fleischer
1935-1971 Rev. A. C. Whitcombe
1972-1983 Dr. R. E. Baxter
1984-1990 Rev. S. Little
1991-2000 Rev. D. Brubacher
2002-2014 Rev. J. Alan Rietberg
2016- present Rev. Andrew Stuart
Shenstone is not a perfect church. However, in spite of the usual ups and downs in church life, our past echoes "great is Thy faithfulness" (Lam. 3:23). And the best may yet be ahead. Our Church continues to experience growth and blessing in seeing people put their trust in Christ as Saviour, attending and becoming involved.